If you’re looking to start a new career, don’t forget to consider plumbing! Whether you’re looking for something exciting or stable, plumbing can really offer you a wide range of opportunities. Let’s analyze together some of the top reasons to consider a career in plumbing.
Benefits of Working As A Plumber
While each person’s situation is unique, these are some of the top cited reasons to work in plumbing:
1. Security: Plumbers enjoy a stable job and excellent wages as they provide an essential service that is always in demand. Job security is especially important in today’s economy, where job loss can be common. Plumbing contractors are one of the highest-paid contractors.
2. Flexibility: Working as a plumber offers the flexibility to work independently or with a team, full-time or part-time, and in a range of settings.
3. Opportunity: Plumbers can specialize in many different areas and often have the opportunity to start their own businesses. They also have the option to work in residential or commercial buildings, giving them the chance to gain experience with a variety of clients and projects.
4. Variety: Because plumbing is such a diverse field, plumbers can work on a variety of projects that give them the chance to stay up-to-date with new technologies and develop their skills.
5. Pride: Plumbers take pride in helping people solve everyday problems and improve their homes or businesses. Knowing that you are making a difference in someone’s life every day is a great reward.
6. Respect: Plumbers are highly respected in the community and gaining recognition for your hard work and expertise can be very rewarding.
7. Job Satisfaction: Plumbers enjoy the satisfaction of solving problems, helping people, and making a positive impact in their communities.
8. It’s a skill you keep and use for life. Plumbing is a skill that can be used on the job, at home, and even in recreational activities such as camping.
What Should You Do To Become A Plumber
Becoming a plumber requires dedication and passion for the craft. Finding plumbers wanted near you or plumbing job leads may help jump-start your career, but being an excellent plumber takes more than just taking jobs. Working hard to learn the trade, gaining experience with actual plumbing work, and demonstrating excellence in those jobs are all essential steps to becoming the best plumber possible. So if you’re on the hunt for plumbing work near you, make sure that each opportunity allows you to hone not only your skills but also your character as a professional craftsman – honing both are necessary for any successful plumbing venture.
- Get a high school education or GED
- Take state-required plumbing trade school courses
- Find an apprenticeship
- Take your licensure exam
- Get your first plumbing job
Why is it Important to Hire Professional Plumbers?
1. Mistakes can be dangerous and costly. Licensed plumbers are trained to prevent leaks and flooding and know how to work around raw sewage without endangering themselves or the homeowner.
2. Good plumbers spot issues early on. Plumbers can identify problems that you may not know about and give sound advice. Plumbing is complex. The average homeowner doesn’t have the skills or experience to tackle complex plumbing issues, so it’s best to leave them to a professional plumber.
3. Plumbers help conserve water. Experienced plumbers can install fixtures and piping that will help conserve water, saving money on utility bills in the long run.
4. They’re protected by insurance. Responsible, insured plumbing companies carry their own insurance policies. If they become injured while working in your home, you don’t have to worry. And while they are unlikely to make errors that result in costly damage, you can rest assured that costs will be covered if they do.
5. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Plumbers can help you prevent problems from occurring in the first place. A good plumber will periodically inspect your plumbing system and identify potential issues before they become serious, saving you time and money down the line. Maintaining your plumbing is cheaper than waiting for a problem to appear.
6. Proper plumbing is important for health. Plumbers are knowledgeable about health and safety regulations. They know how to properly vent your plumbing system so that gasses, such as carbon monoxide, don’t leak into your home. This is especially important for larger homes with multiple bathrooms or kitchens to ensure proper ventilation. Hiring a professional plumber is a crucial step in protecting yourself.
For all the reasons listed above, plumbing can be a great career. We hope this article has served as a great introduction into what working as a plumber entails. With a little more research and some follow up steps, you could be well on your way to a fruitful career as a plumber in no time!
- Paul Armand Abecilla Feb 23, 2018 – SIX REASONS WHY IT’S IMPORTANT TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED, LICENSED PLUMBER – https://www.superdrain.net/six-reasons-why-it-s-important-to-hire-an-experienced-licensed-plumber
- June 10, 2016 – https://www.wavin.com/en-en/news-cases/news/10-best-reasons-to-become-a-plumber
3. Laura Leavitt Nov 22, 2021 – https://www.learnhowtobecome.org/plumber/