If you’re looking to jumpstart a new career, then look no further than plumbing! Whether you’re looking for something exciting or stable, plumbing really can offer a whole range of opportunities. Let’s take a look at some of the top 5 reasons to consider a career in plumbing!
Working As A Plumber
One important thing to remember about being a plumber is that there is a wide range of services available. In other words, the profession expands much beyond the person we call to our house if there’s an issue.
For example, there are commercial and installation plumbers who work on much more of an enterprise scale. Then there are more residential and service plumbers, who offer more of a personal service that most of us are more accustomed to. At a different level, there are also sanitary plumbers, who are much more involved in regulatory bodies to make sure that everything is up to code. 
Long story short: working as a plumber can involve a very different lifestyle or work situation. The key is finding which type of work suits you best so you can specialize in what’s most attractive to you!
Top 5 Reasons to Become A Plumber
Once you’ve settled on which type of plumber you’d like to become, let’s take a look at some of the major benefits of working in the plumbing industry:
1) Job Security
One of the best things about being a plumber is that the service is very inelastic. That means whether the economy is doing good or bad…the world will still need plumbers. In that sense, there will always be work available.
Another aspect of job security in plumbing is that it is hard to outsource the work. When something breaks, you need someone to come to repair it right away and often don’t have the luxury of waiting. This makes it harder for multinational or foreign companies to penetrate the market, as the best plumber is often the one closest to home!
2) Plumbers Are Highly In Demand
In 2020, 64% of those surveyed in the UK said that they had requested a plumber in the past year. This is not expected to change any time soon. This shows that there is substantial growth in the profession, meaning there will be work ahead for plumbers for years to come. 
3) High Expected Salary
According to Reed.co, the median salary for plumbers was around 38,000£ in the UK. This provides a good relative salary compared to the National average.
It’s also important to note that there is a wide range in salaries here. For example, your location will greatly affect your salary. It’s important to do some research on where you live and the corresponding salaries for plumbers in the area.
4) Job Flexibility
As mentioned above, there are many different types of plumbers. Your day may be very different depending on the services required. For example, if you lean more into the industrial plumbing side you may spend much less time talking to customers, but more time in an office. Depending on what you’re looking for, the flexibility offers tons of opportunities.
5) Get Out Of The Office
One of the major advantages for people working in plumbing is the opportunity to get out of the house or office. As plumbing will almost always require someone in the scene once an issue arises, this job perk should stick around for a long time!
As you can see, there are plenty of benefits that come with being a plumber. The key is to find the right fit for you. When choosing a career, we always recommend that you do your own research to make sure you open yourself up to all the available possibilities. A career in plumbing could be a great start!
1) “10 Reasons to Become a Plumber” The Plumber (2016) Retrieved May 2022 from: “https://theplumber.com/10-reasons-to-become-a-plumber/
2) “WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE A CAREER IN PLUMBING” Portchester (2018) Retrieved May 2022 from: https://porterchester.edu/news-events/why-you-should-choose-a-career-in-plumbing
3) “5 Types of Plumbers and Their Duties and Salary” Indeed (2022) Retrieved May 2022 from: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/plumbers-salary
4) “Occupational Outlook Handbook” BLS ( 2022) Retrieved May 2022 from: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction-and-extraction/plumbers-pipefitters-and-steamfitters.htm#:~:text=in%20May%202021.-,Job%20Outlook,on%20average%2C%20over%20the%20decade.
5) “PLUMBERS WERE MOST IN DEMAND TRADE IN 2020” PhamNews (2022): https://www.phamnews.co.uk/plumbers-were-most-in-demand-in-2020/
6) “Average Plumber salary in the UK” Reed.CO (2022) :https://www.reed.co.uk/average-salary/average-plumber-salary