It’s no secret that we all want glowing and younger-looking skin, the question is how do we get it? Skin is the largest and most visible organ in the body, so maintaining its healthy aesthetic is not only desirable physically, but also good for your body as well.
While age eventually catches up with us all, our environment and lifestyle choices can greatly affect the condition of our skin. If you want to achieve that glowing look we all want so much, here are 10 foolproof ways to help keep your skin looking young again.
Understanding the Signs of Aging Skin
Understanding how our skin ages is an important step in trying to ensure that it doesn’t age faster than it needs to. With age, the skin becomes thinner and blood vessels become more visible. Some visible signs of growing older include wrinkles, sagging skin and an increasing number of age spots, freckles, moles and hyperpigmentation caused by sunlight. Also, the collagen and elastin fibres that allow our skin to stretch start to degrade. Reduction in hyaluronic acid leaves skin dryer and rougher.
Use these 10 tips to reverse the effects of aging on your skin
1) Always wear sunscreen
Sun protection is always essential. Protect your skin by seeking shade or covering up with clothing, and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Apply sunscreen every day to all skin that is not covered by clothing. 
Lasers can help reverse some of the damage. Choosing a sunscreen specifically formulated for your face can yield better results. While choosing a sunscreen consider following points;
- Know your skin type
- Consider your skin tone
- Always check for a broad spectrum label
- Apply sunscreen before applying makeup
2) Drink up
When it comes to skincare, water plays a vital role in getting that radiant glow. Water aids in digestion, circulation, absorption and even excretion. Drinking at least 8 glasses a day will help rid the body and skin of toxins. Following simple homemade drinks can help you get a glowy and healthy skin.
- Pink Grapefruit Juice
- Beetroot Juice
- Green Tea
- Carrot Juice
- Orange Juice
- Cocoa Drink
3) Avoid repetitive facial expressions
When you make a facial expression, you contract the underlying facial muscles. These repetitive movements include smiling, laughing, squinting, furrowing brows and frowning. All of these can be major contributors in getting wrinkles at an early age. There are some skin care treatment options available such asthe PCA and ZO Skin Care line of products that can minimize the appearance of wrinkles. 
4) Cleanse your skin gently
Cleansing is important for removing any skin care product or makeup that you have applied during the day. Scrubbing harshly can accelerate the aging process. Here is the tip;
- Apply deep cleansing oil or cleansing milk and massage gently
- Add water to emulsify the cleanser
- Rinse off with water
- Pat dry with a soft and clean towel
- Apply toner/hydrating toner or serums to restore your normal PH level.
5) Apply a facial moisturizer every day
Moisturizing your face will help you to look and feel younger, you will have softer, more elastic skin, and it will keep your skin hydrated. Use moisturizer;
- Right after you wash your face
- In the morning
- Before bed
- After removing your make
6) Load up on antioxidants
Antioxidants are the key to Anti-Aging. You can either get fruits and veggies rich in vitamins and antioxidants or use cosmetic products that are high in antioxidants. Vitamins C, E and A are great for the skin. Here are some highest antioxidant foods;
7) Use retinoids
Topical retinoids are a more affordable option with proven anti-aging benefits.
According to research, compared with other anti-aging agents, retinoids are among the most promising treatments available for anti-aging. Retinoids also help fade age spots and smooth rough patches. Tretinoin (Retin-A) is a popular prescription choice for aging skin.
8) Exfoliate skin twice a week
Exfoliating skin smooths and loosens your skin bringing new cells to the surface. It also helps stimulate collagen and elastin production. There are many different types of exfoliants including;
- Glycolic acid
- Lactic acid
- Alpha hydroxy acid(AHA)
9) Sleep In
A good night’s sleep will keep you looking youthful. During sleep, your skin’s blood flow increases and it allows your skin to repair itself from everyday stresses.
10) Consider treatments for youthful skin damage
If you have a lot of sun damage or acne scars, some treatments may help.
- Laser rejuvenation
- Laser resurfacing
- Botox (botulinum toxins)
- Dermal fillers
- Chemical peels
We’re not going to look young forever, that’s just a fact of life, but it will always be important to look after our skin just as much as it looks after us. Before choosing any procedure make sure to consult your dermatologist as some procedures like laser treatment and microneedling can be expensive. Online research is best to determine your skin type and treatment options that best suit you.
- Hellerman, Caleb. “There’s Proof: Sunscreen Reduces Skin Aging.” CNN. June 04, 2013. https://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/04/health/sunscreen-aging/index.html.
- Fulton, William. “Can You Reduce Wrinkles by Not Making Faces?” Gilbert Med Spa – Serving Mesa, Chandler, Tempe. April 04, 2016. https://www.gilbertmedspa.com/reduce-wrinkles-by-not-showing-emotion/.
- Fusco, Domenico, Giuseppe Colloca, Maria Rita Lo Monaco, and Matteo Cesari. “Effects of Antioxidant Supplementation on the Aging Process.” Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2007. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2685276/.
- Mukherjee, Siddharth, Abhijit Date, Vandana Patravale, Hans Christian Korting, Alexander Roeder, and Günther Weindl. “Retinoids in the Treatment of Skin Aging: An Overview of Clinical Efficacy and Safety.” Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2006. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699641/.
- Kam, Katherine. “10 Skin Tips to Slow the Signs of Aging.” WebMD. November 01, 2012. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/wrinkles-skin#3.